This competition is open to all ages and residents of Indiana. We look forward to a great day of delicious grilled foods, friendly competition, great pork sampling, and fun music.
2016 Indiana State Fair – Saturday, August 6, 2016
The deadline to enter is Friday, July 29, 2016 or until all available contestant places are filled.
Enjoy A Sampling
- Shoup’s Booth – 12:30 pm
- Awards (On Stage) – 5:00 pm
Schedule of Events
- Setup and Cooking – 6:00 am
- Chef’s Meeting – 9:00 am
- Judging – 11:30 to 3:00 pm
Enter your registration now!
2016 Backyard BBQ Cook-off Sponsors
Categories & Judging Times
- Build a Hogburger® – 11:30 am
- Chicken – 12:00 pm
- Pork Loin – 1:00 pm
- Pork Ribs – 2:00 pm
- Open – 3:00 pm
- Showmanship Automatically Entered – Noon to 3:00 pm
Needs to be submitted with a recipe that utilizes Shoup’s Seasoning, Shoup’s BBQ Sauce or both. No desserts will be allowed. Only meat, poultry, seafood, or side dishes will be allowed.
BBQ Cook-off Archive
Backyard BBQ Cook-off Awards
Award Medals will be given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category.
Overall Grand Champion
$1,000.00 & Prizes
Reserve Grand Champion
$500.00 & Prizes
- 1st – $100.00
- 2nd – $50.00
- 3rd – $25.00
- 1st – $300.00 & Prizes
- 2nd – $200.00 & Prizes
- 3rd – $100.00 & Prizes
All participants will receive a bottle of Shoup’s Barbecue Sauce and Seasoning.
Terms & Conditions
- Judging will be done by equal six person teams.
- Your sample will be judged by all members of a judging team.
- Each judge will rate the sample for APPEARANCE, TASTE, and TENDERNESS and scored from 9 to 1 points each. The TASTE score will be doubled. The lowest score will be dropped but will be used to break ties. The Build a Hogburger® category will be judged on APPEARANCE, TASTE, and NAME. The five highest judges scores will be tallied for overall points. The lowest judges score (6th judge) will be dropped and not used for the totals.
- Results will be tallied. If there is a tie it will be broken as follows: The low score that was thrown out (as mentioned above) will be added to the cumulative score to break the tie. If still tied, the judging slips will be compared for the highest cumulative scores in TASTE first, then TENDERNESS, then APPEARANCE. All of these categories will utilize the 6th judges scores.
- Total points per entry will determine the category winner within each classification.
- Cumulative points for all classifications will determine the grand champion. Second place in cumulative points for all classifications will determine the Reserve Grand Champion. (Showmanship results do not add into cumulative scores, it will be judged as a separate contest.)
- All categories must be cooked on wood, charcoal, gas grill or a smoker.
- All meat must be (checked in) in a raw state—No precooked or marinated meat will be allowed prior to check-in. Bacon in its natural state is acceptable.
Hold Harmless Clause
The Indiana State Fair Commission, Indiana State Fair Board, Shoup’s Country Foods, and all other sponsors shall not be responsible or liable in any way for any losses, costs, damages, liabilities, debts, or expenses incurred by the participants of the 2014 Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ Cook Off, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, or assigns as a result of any acts, omissions, or negligence of any person, firm, partnership or corporation attending or participating in the 2014 Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ Cook Off weather or not the act, omission, or negligence occurs prior to, during, or following the 2014 Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ.
Instructions & Responsibilities
- The Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ will be Saturday, August 6, 2016 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
- The Indiana State Fair Backyard BBQ Contest is sponsored by Shoup’s Country Foods, Indiana State Fair, Indiana Corn and Soybean, Indiana Pork, and Indiana Packers.
- Competition is open to anyone. There is a limit of 4 people per team.
- Shoup’s Country Foods employees, sponsors, and State Fair Commission employees are not eligible to participate.
- Shoup’s Country Foods requires all contestants to have a hand washing area at their individual booth setups.
- Designated barrels will be provided for proper disposal of charcoal at the end of the event.
- Contestants will be provided with (2) uncovered 8-foot tables for their booth space.
Instructions for Submitting Samples for Judging
- Judging will start at 11:20 am—Saturday, August 8th – Only the designated 4 person teammates can touch or handle your entries.
- Judging will be done on a category basis in the following order: 1. Appearance 2. Taste 3. Tenderness. Judging times are Build a Hogburger® – 11:30 am, Chicken—12:00 pm, Pork Loin—1:00 pm, Pork Ribs—2:00 pm, Open—3:00 pm.
- Turn in your sample on time. You will have a 10 minute window to turn in your entry. The Hogburger® category turn in starts at 11:20 am with a final turn in time of 11:30 am. All other categories will be turned in on the hour with a ten minute grace period past the hour. Example: 12 pm turn in means entries must be turned in by 12:00 pm to 12:10 pm.
- A horn will be blown to open and close the turn in time for each category. The rule is your entry must be turned in within the ten minutes from the first to the second blow of the horn.
- Submit enough of your entry to feed six judges and place in the official container provided by BBQ Officials. Remember, appearance is one of the judging criteria. For the Build a Hogburger® category you will need to submit two entries: One for appearance and the Second cut in 6 pieces for judges’ samples. Contestants will be provided two containers by the BBQ officials.
- If you cover your meat with sauce it will be judged that way. If you submit it dry (no sauce) it will be judged that way. No pooling or cups of sauce will be allowed for the judges to dip.
- Garnish is limited to only green leaf lettuce (no red tipped lettuce or kale), and common curly parsley. This means no aluminum foil. This applies for the Chicken, Loin, Ribs, and Open categories. The only exception to this rule is the Build a Hogburger® category in which anything goes.
- Samples for judging must completely fit in the provided container with the lid closed for judging.
- All open entries must utilize Shoup’s Seasoning or Shoup’s BBQ Sauce, or both. These will be provided to you upon checking in.
- No desserts will be allowed in the open category. Entries must be meat, poultry, seafood, or side dishes and must be prepared on a grill (wood, gas, or charcoal).
- Entries must be accompanied by a detailed recipe card that will be provided to you at check in. Contestants will be required to list the actual amount of each item (i.e. 1 tsp or ½ cup) for ALL ingredients on your recipe cards. Recipes may be used by Shoup’s Country Foods for promotional purposes with proper acknowledgement given to the recipe creator.
- Open categories will not be judged on tenderness.
- In this category only, contestants will be allowed to use containers inside their box to help secure the entry if needed. Example: baked beans could be placed in a separate cup within the provided container for each of the judges.
The DEADLINE to enter is Friday, July 29, 2016 or until all available contestant places are filled.
The Backyard BBQ Cook-Off Registration
Click here to register or call Shoup’s at 1 (800) 646-4464.